Take a look at the Eunomia Roadmap which makes recommendations for research, technology development, infrastructure and knowledge exchange.
We have published a Plastics Roadmap on the Future Opportunities and Needs in the UK Plastics Supply Chain. Please click here to view the Roadmap.
This document presents the findings from a roadmapping exercise delivered under the auspices of the Plastics Research and Innovation Fund (‘PRIF’). These are recommendations for where future R&D funding could be directed to increase the circularity of the UK plastics supply chain. They are supported by full a technical report.
The PRIF programme commissioned Eunomia – an independent consultancy for sustainability – to undertake a study to examines both the current and future opportunities and needs of the UK plastics supply chain, supporting the transition to a circular UK plastics economy, one where waste (and pollution) are eliminated through better systems, better product design and increasing the rates of reuse, recycling and (where appropriate) composting.
The study sought to explore:
- Areas of existing strength/ weakness in the circularity of the supply chain – what are we good at, what should we be doing better?
- Potential areas/trends for future development to strengthen the circularity of the supply chain – what’s happening now and what should we do next?
- Recommendations on the areas/trends that should be a focus for activity and investment – what should we focus on?
This research consisted of consultations with government bodies, industry, non-governmental organisations, academics and other stakeholders with an understanding of the UK plastics sector, as well as interactive webinars and in-depth interviews. The outcomes of the research will be used across UKRI to develop future plans to support research and innovation.
The roadmap addresses plastics across the following applications and makes recommendations for research, technology development, infrastructure and knowledge exchange:
- Building and construction
- Electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) and automotive, including tyres
- Textiles including microfibres
- Fishing gear and aquaculture
Please click here to view the Roadmap.