On Tuesday 8th February 2022, UKCPN Programme Lead, Dr. Sally Beken, will be speaking at the Westminster Food & Nutrition Forum event, 'Tackling food waste in households, industry, and agriculture"
On Tuesday 8th February 2022, the Westminster Food & Nutrition Forum will be hosting an event titled, ‘Tackling food waste in households, industry, and agriculture – next steps for policy coordination, targets, implementation, and innovation in packaging.’ The UK Circular Plastics Network’s Programme Lead, Dr. Sally Beken, will be speaking at the event.
This conference looks at current priorities for tackling food waste in households, industry, and agriculture – including latest thinking and developments in improving local waste management and recycling services, tackling plastic waste, and driving behaviour change.
It is bringing together key stakeholders and policymakers to discuss the effectiveness of government plans announced earlier this year to reform England’s bin, recycling, and food waste collections, including proposals to:
- introduce statutory guidance on new minimum service standards for rubbish and recycling collections
- ensure every household will receive separate, weekly food waste collections from 2023
- make recycling easier with a clear list of materials that all local authorities and waste firms must collect from homes and businesses
The conference will also be an opportunity to assess the way forward and consider outstanding issues for meeting wider targets for waste and plastic packaging reduction, including:
- the UK Government target – to eliminate all avoidable waste by 2050 and enact policies aimed at reducing plastic waste
- the Courtauld Commitment 2030 – including a target for a 50% per capita reduction in food waste by 2030 against the UK 2007 baseline
- the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 12.3 – aiming to halve global food waste per capita at the retail and consumer level by 2030 and reduce waste in production and supply chains
We also expect discussion on priorities for the coordination of strategies to tackle waste across the food chain, including:
- the role of a proposed deposit return scheme (DRS) for drinks containers, an extended producer responsibility scheme, a plastic packaging tax, and other forthcoming measures described in the Environment Act in driving plastic waste reduction
- the introduction of the Sustainable Farming Incentive scheme aiming to support waste reduction in agriculture
Keynote contributions will come from Lord Deben, Chairman, Climate Change Committee; and Dr David Moon, Interim Director of Collaboration and Change, WRAP.
The discussion is bringing together stakeholders with key policy officials who are due to attend from BEIS; DAERA, NI; Defra; the DfE; the DIT; the FCDO; the FSA; Food Standards Scotland; the Isle of Man Government; the Office Product Safety and Standards; The Scottish Government; and the Welsh Government.